It's finally here, Happy Halloween from all of us at The Cafe at the Museum today!
If you're anything like us, we suspect you've put some considerable time into prepping for Halloween.
No doubt, your Netflix list is bursting with scary movies (and a comedy for later when you need to calm your nerves) and you've already prepared the 'No honey, these are just actors...' speech if you're at home with your little ones tonight.
You probably have your two-hour-researched-on-pinterest-pumpkins carved, lit and nestled on the front step ready to impress the neighbours, and a doomsday-esque stockpile of tealight candles ready for replacing every hour or so.
The only thing missing from your list, is a plate of our home bake BOO! Shortbread biscuits, which is the name we've given to our White chocolate and coconut sugar shortbread. Cut into ghastly ghost shapes, these sweet treats will have the whole street green with envy and clambering to get the recipe for next year!
Now, we know it's still half term and Monday is often our busiest day, so we've put together a recipe that is so simple and quick, the entire process should take no more than 30 minutes, and if you do have little ones at home, they'll love helping you bake these spooky sweets!
- 250g Plain Flour
- 250g Softened Unsalted Butter
- 100g Coconut Sugar
- 300g White Chocolate to decorate
- 1 Black Icing Pen
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees/gas mark 4.
- Beat the butter and coconut sugar to form a smooth paste.
- Sift in the flour and fold the mixture until it forms a soft dough. You might want to use your hands for this.
- We find the shortbread dough holds its shape better when it's been chilled, so pop it in a freezer bag or other container and into the freezer for 5 minutes.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly flour service, or to avoid mess, on a sheet of baking paper, until it is 1-2cm thick (secret: I used a bottle of rum instead a rolling pin, don't tell anyone!)
- Use a ghost shaped cookie cutter to cut your shapes out of the dough. These are available in most supermarkets and pound stores at the moment for around £1 for a set of 3 shapes.
- Lay your shortbread ghosts on a sheet of baking paper and pop them, on a tray, into the oven. Leave them for 10 minutes or until they start harden.
- While your ghosts are baking, melt the chocolate over a pan of boiled water and try not to eat it...yet.
- Once your ghosts have cooled, use the back of a tea spoon to gently cover the top side of your ghosts to give them that cool complexion of theirs, and add eyes and a mouth with the icing pen.
- Place your BOO! Shortbreads in the fridge to set and you're good to go!
Super easy, super quick, super spooky! And don't forget to tag us in the photos that you won't be able to resist taking, these shortbreads are just too sweet!